Friday, March 30, 2012

"Just because they where there..."

My wife asked me yesterday "why are you putting in all those small screws"? Well, they have no purpose now really, with a "5200 bottom". The 3M5200 adhesive is now holding the inner and outer bottom together. I guess the 1/2" button head screws was put in originally to hold the bottom "sandwich" together, and to add strength to the bottom between the battens and frames.

And since they where there originally, I just had to put them back in....

Straightening up.

With all the topside battens and deck framing off, it's time to straighten the frames before the new battens and new sides are installed. Most of the starboard frames needs to come out anywhere from 1/4" to a full 5/8". Temporary blocking is screwed in to hold the right shape until planking is complete.

The stem had to come over about 3/8" as well to be plum.

New mahogany battens are next, and I am soaking them for a few days. Kill dried wood (no it's not a typo) is to dry and stiff to easily conform to the the stern shape, especially the top three (3) battens.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Bare bones, again.

With the boat upright, time has come to the topside and deck. It took about a full day to remove all the screws to take the side and deck planking off. And there's a lot of rotten wood.....

A view of the new bottom. Like original except with the use of 3M5200 and CPES. Diagonal 3/16" x 6 Mahogany inner layer, White Oak intermitten battens.

Time and moisture have done it's work here.

Next to do is remove all the deck beams and framing. These hang from the outer 16/4 (4" thick) Mahogany covering boards. So the topsides and new covering boards are next.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

On even keel.

After 2 1/2 year on her back, she's finally on even keel. Bottom, frames, keel and chines all new. 100's of hours, stopped counting long time ago. With a good setup with A-frames, 4" straps and chain-falls, the flip is an easy 2 man job.

Now we can see the beautiful lines of the Barrelback, which it's called. Can't wait to get started on the deck and topsides.

Friday, March 16, 2012

Sping time, move ahead.

Back in business after the winter hiatus. The bottom was painted with to layers of copper bronze in December and have had a few months to harden. The copper bronze has like 30% of copper in it and is a strange paint to put on. Got several tips on have to lay it, thanks to all. I ended up warming up the shop to about 75ºF for several days, and also made sure the paint was at that temperature. Use a 6" high end foam roller and was able to get a good even coats. Maybe not as shiny as I wanted, but even and without lines. I will brush it on up the sides to the waterline when times come.

I'm also getting ready for flipping the boat right side up. It's been 4 years since I turned it over to start on the bottom and frames. Darn it, time just fly... It only prove my time + cost formula, estimate x Pi.

Finished up a crate based on the spacing from the original Chris Craft line drawing of the boat. 6'-7 1/2" center-center.